If you care to know how Ms. Palin got her start, Jane Mayer's 2008 piece in The New Yorker (which I happened to serendipitously come across in my daily researches) is a good place to start. The extent to which personal ambition (as opposed to principle) drives her is evident, especially in the way she pitched herself to the same media "elite" she claims to despise. And Mayer's quote from former Bush campaign strategist Matthew Dowd says it well about John McCain: "He put the country at risk" by selecting her, and he would have to live with that.
Palin's sex-appeal-based popularity (her biggest single bloc of support seems to come from white males aged 40 or older) continues to put the US at risk, if only because the policy nonsense and leather-jacketed "star quality" she peddles (and Mr. Limbaugh promotes) in her quest for political super-stardom and big bucks hinder the country from coming together to address the huge, frightening problems it now faces both at home and abroad. Twenty years from now, we will look back on this era as one of America's lowest, and Palin's rise will epitomize it - as will the fact that a war hero and self-proclaimed patriot like John McCain would have stooped so low in his quest for power that he became her most useful "enabler."
- ► 2012 (165)
- ► 2011 (339)
- James Carroll on Republican Opposition to START
- McCain Shoots His Credibility in the Foot
- Afghanistan: worse than Vietnam?
- Sarah Palin Says Most Professors Don’t Believe in ...
- Leslie Gelb on Obama's Mideast Bribes
- The Human Costs of War in Afghanistan
- This is scary
- Frank Rich on Palin's Prospective Presidential Run...
- In Afghanistan, Your Tax Dollars at Work
- On American Exceptionalism
- Counterinsurgency? It's Whatever Petraeus Wants it...
- On the Rise of Sarah Palin
- Hitchens on Obama's "craven offer" to Netanyahu
- A Sucker's Bet
- Analyst: Iraq Deal is the Work of Outside Powers
- Karzai Speaks. Is Anybody Listening? (Lindsey Gra...
- Some Plain Sense on Afghanistan
- Ray Takeyh's Superb Tactic for Moving Iran Forward...
- Obama Praises New Iraqi Government as Inclusive
- Iraq's new deal not such a big deal?
- Wheeling ad Dealing in Iraq: More to Come
- Undercutting Obama: Joe Lieberman chimes in
- Netanyahu Dissing Obama - with the GOP ready to ba...
- Bush on his decision to invade Iraq
- More US meddling in Iraq's politics
- Chutzpah! Israel Risks US Fury With New Settlement...
- A Message to America's Jews (and Christian Zionist...
- Once again, Ashamed to be a Kentuckian
- Bravo, Barack! U.S. subjects its human rights reco...
- The Rejuvenation of GOP Warmongers
- The Costs of Pounding Yemen
- Boy George admits to his own criminality
- The Republicans control the House. Be very afraid...
- David Broder's FDR solution
- ▼ November (34)
- ► 2009 (440)