As reported by the AP. . . . but the fact of the matter is that the Sunni remain largely marginalized, and the government has yet to be formed, and Obama is putting a smiley face on a still troubled situation.
The winners: Iran, Iraq's religious Shia parties, and al-Qaeda, which will likely attract recruits among Sunni Iraq-nationalists and Arab nationalists who realize that they've been left out in the cold.
The losers: Iraq's Sunni, of course; and Mr. Obama, who will be pressured even more to keep US troops in Iraq when al-Qaeda in Iraq boosts its attacks on what is going to be most assuredly a Shia-led government with strong links to Iran.
And if Iraq's security forces can't dampen down the attacks, the Mahdi Army can be mobilized quickly.
- ► 2013 (34)
- ► 2012 (165)
- ► 2011 (339)
- James Carroll on Republican Opposition to START
- McCain Shoots His Credibility in the Foot
- Afghanistan: worse than Vietnam?
- Sarah Palin Says Most Professors Don’t Believe in ...
- Leslie Gelb on Obama's Mideast Bribes
- The Human Costs of War in Afghanistan
- This is scary
- Frank Rich on Palin's Prospective Presidential Run...
- In Afghanistan, Your Tax Dollars at Work
- On American Exceptionalism
- Counterinsurgency? It's Whatever Petraeus Wants it...
- On the Rise of Sarah Palin
- Hitchens on Obama's "craven offer" to Netanyahu
- A Sucker's Bet
- Analyst: Iraq Deal is the Work of Outside Powers
- Karzai Speaks. Is Anybody Listening? (Lindsey Gra...
- Some Plain Sense on Afghanistan
- Ray Takeyh's Superb Tactic for Moving Iran Forward...
- Obama Praises New Iraqi Government as Inclusive
- Iraq's new deal not such a big deal?
- Wheeling ad Dealing in Iraq: More to Come
- Undercutting Obama: Joe Lieberman chimes in
- Netanyahu Dissing Obama - with the GOP ready to ba...
- Bush on his decision to invade Iraq
- More US meddling in Iraq's politics
- Chutzpah! Israel Risks US Fury With New Settlement...
- A Message to America's Jews (and Christian Zionist...
- Once again, Ashamed to be a Kentuckian
- Bravo, Barack! U.S. subjects its human rights reco...
- The Rejuvenation of GOP Warmongers
- The Costs of Pounding Yemen
- Boy George admits to his own criminality
- The Republicans control the House. Be very afraid...
- David Broder's FDR solution
- ▼ November (34)
- ► 2009 (440)