I owe many thanks to my friend Barbara A. for the heads-up on this excellent piece from The Economist about the recent explosion of racial/ethnic tensions in Xinjiang. Some of the reporting on the rioting, and specific acts of violence, is graphic and extremely disturbing, both for the extreme actions taken by some (on both sides) and for the virulence of what seems to be mostly ethnicity-based hatred and resentment.
But there are other dimensions here as well. Mindful of the events after Iran's election fiasco, the Chinese authorities moved quickly to shut down electronic social-networking media like text-message and cell-phone service, as well as the internet. The Economist also spotlights the "war on terror" dimension here. The Uighurs are largely Muslim, many of them very traditionally so. Some Uighur Islamists were rounded up in Afghanistan after 9/11, and some experts see ties between Uighur Islamist groups and al-Qaeda. That in turn has allowed the Chinese government to pitch their crackdown on Uighurs to the US as part of the crack-down on "terrorists" - which gives the Chinese a freer hand to impose order and prevent any movement toward ethnic-nationalist-based secession from building in Xinjiang.
- ► 2013 (34)
- ► 2012 (165)
- ► 2011 (339)
- ► 2010 (305)
- Stories from Gaza [from Mondoweiss site]
- US Military Interventions: What Do They Accomplish...
- Some Israeli Voices of Sanity
- Mean-spirited Jerks of the Month Award Goes to . ....
- Arabs losing hope in Obama's ability to broker Mid...
- A Disaster Approaches Inexorably in Palestine
- US in Pakistan - Good Intentions, Stymied by Poor ...
- Aluf Benn channels Glenn Close: We will not be ign...
- Under Our Radar: West Bank settlements grow, while...
- A Success - and a Test - for Democracy in Iraqi Ku...
- Rahm Emanuel channels Cheney
- Iraq's persisting divisions - and security contrac...
- Bush considered sending US troops into Buffalo, NY...
- Another deadly blast in Anbar
- The Next Chapter in Iraq
- Israel's Full-court Press vs. Obama; plus Maliki's...
- Iraq bombings kill 19 in Sadr City and Ramadi
- Biden's Rhetoric and Iraq - Not a Way Forward
- Roger Cohen on Iran's elections, and Iran's greatn...
- Climate Change and Iraq
- Netanyahu's Chutzpah
- More shades of Vietnam
- Iraq's and Afghanistan's Woes Continue, while Iran...
- 18 hurt by Baghdad bomb targeting Shiite pilgrims ...
- The Black Hole that is Bagram
- A Shii Festival approaches in Iraq = Trouble?
- WINEP's Singh: Make the Iranians crack
- More on the Most Moral Army in the World
- Under the Radar: Gaza's Plight . . . and a Growing...
- More on Mr. Obama's War
- Graveyards of Empires . . . and Presidents
- On the Han-Uighur tensions in Xinjiang
- Iraq's Unraveling Continues
- Another Dire Report out of Israel
- Netanyahu, Iraq, and Steve McNair
- Afghan Forces Missing From Helmand Offensive?!
- Iraq's rebuff of US has element of posturing
- One-day Afghan death toll of U.S. troops hits 7
- U.S. wants Iran to know it can be attacked
- Iran, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Israel - Be very afra...
- Link Between Iraq Violence and Troop Withdrawals I...
- Afghanistan: 2 U.S. Soldiers Killed in Taliban Att...
- Vietnam, Part deux?
- More from the "Liberators" of Iraq
- The US "Liberation" of Iraq
- A Final(?) Dispatch from Tehran
- ▼ July (46)