If any of us thought the Kurdish Regional Government was going to knuckle under to Mr. al-Maliki in Baghdad, better guess again. Kurds Defy Baghdad, Laying Claim to Land and Oil - NYTimes.com
Combine this with the ramping up of violence in the provinces disputed by the KRG and Baghdad, and it's obvious that (1) Iraq is light-years from any kind of reconciliation, and (2) the Obama White House is going to be on the hot-seat as more withdrawal deadlines approach. This is not going to go away unless "Iraq" can impose its will on "Kurdistan" - or have that will imposed for it by an outside party.
- ► 2013 (34)
- ► 2012 (165)
- ► 2011 (339)
- ► 2010 (305)
- Stories from Gaza [from Mondoweiss site]
- US Military Interventions: What Do They Accomplish...
- Some Israeli Voices of Sanity
- Mean-spirited Jerks of the Month Award Goes to . ....
- Arabs losing hope in Obama's ability to broker Mid...
- A Disaster Approaches Inexorably in Palestine
- US in Pakistan - Good Intentions, Stymied by Poor ...
- Aluf Benn channels Glenn Close: We will not be ign...
- Under Our Radar: West Bank settlements grow, while...
- A Success - and a Test - for Democracy in Iraqi Ku...
- Rahm Emanuel channels Cheney
- Iraq's persisting divisions - and security contrac...
- Bush considered sending US troops into Buffalo, NY...
- Another deadly blast in Anbar
- The Next Chapter in Iraq
- Israel's Full-court Press vs. Obama; plus Maliki's...
- Iraq bombings kill 19 in Sadr City and Ramadi
- Biden's Rhetoric and Iraq - Not a Way Forward
- Roger Cohen on Iran's elections, and Iran's greatn...
- Climate Change and Iraq
- Netanyahu's Chutzpah
- More shades of Vietnam
- Iraq's and Afghanistan's Woes Continue, while Iran...
- 18 hurt by Baghdad bomb targeting Shiite pilgrims ...
- The Black Hole that is Bagram
- A Shii Festival approaches in Iraq = Trouble?
- WINEP's Singh: Make the Iranians crack
- More on the Most Moral Army in the World
- Under the Radar: Gaza's Plight . . . and a Growing...
- More on Mr. Obama's War
- Graveyards of Empires . . . and Presidents
- On the Han-Uighur tensions in Xinjiang
- Iraq's Unraveling Continues
- Another Dire Report out of Israel
- Netanyahu, Iraq, and Steve McNair
- Afghan Forces Missing From Helmand Offensive?!
- Iraq's rebuff of US has element of posturing
- One-day Afghan death toll of U.S. troops hits 7
- U.S. wants Iran to know it can be attacked
- Iran, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Israel - Be very afra...
- Link Between Iraq Violence and Troop Withdrawals I...
- Afghanistan: 2 U.S. Soldiers Killed in Taliban Att...
- Vietnam, Part deux?
- More from the "Liberators" of Iraq
- The US "Liberation" of Iraq
- A Final(?) Dispatch from Tehran
- ▼ July (46)