Fallujah (in mostly Sunni Anbar province) was hit today with a bombing that killed 4 and wounded/maimed many more. Al Jazeera English - Middle East - Iraq blast 'targets Sunni party' The target was the HQ of the Iraqi Islamic Party. Until the recent elections, the IIP had controlled much of the local government in the areas. Lately, though, it has been challenged by local, more secular Sunni groups that often represent the "tribal" militias that were so important in the Awakening movement that turned back "al-Qaeda" jihadists.
Who's doing this? Perhaps the jihadists? Or perhaps guys from the now-decommissioned Awakening? The US will likely blame it on "al-Qaeda terrorists" - unless there's a way to somehow pin it on Shii groups influenced by Iran = for the US, generally the flavor of the month, every month.
UPDATE: As if these disturbances weren't enough, now the US is trying to grease the skids for Sunni-Shii reconciliation in the Maliki government (with some help from Turkey) - but Maliki is screaming "busted!" and telling the US to keep its nose out of his country's business. Again, how much of this is for show? On the other hand, the whole thing might have stayed under the radar if Maliki hadn't spoken up.
Again, we forget at our peril just how deeply runs the Shii paranoia about Sunni intentions - and the desire among some Shii for payback. We also need to remember that the Shii who lead the government are the same people who were forced into exile under Saddam, who had to give up their homes and livelihoods and fortunes, and perhaps see members of their family killed. They are not likely to sit back and let the US - in moves designed to suit US policy needs (like cheap oil) - prop the door open for people who may have had a hand in that. Would you?
- ► 2013 (34)
- ► 2012 (165)
- ► 2011 (339)
- ► 2010 (305)
- Stories from Gaza [from Mondoweiss site]
- US Military Interventions: What Do They Accomplish...
- Some Israeli Voices of Sanity
- Mean-spirited Jerks of the Month Award Goes to . ....
- Arabs losing hope in Obama's ability to broker Mid...
- A Disaster Approaches Inexorably in Palestine
- US in Pakistan - Good Intentions, Stymied by Poor ...
- Aluf Benn channels Glenn Close: We will not be ign...
- Under Our Radar: West Bank settlements grow, while...
- A Success - and a Test - for Democracy in Iraqi Ku...
- Rahm Emanuel channels Cheney
- Iraq's persisting divisions - and security contrac...
- Bush considered sending US troops into Buffalo, NY...
- Another deadly blast in Anbar
- The Next Chapter in Iraq
- Israel's Full-court Press vs. Obama; plus Maliki's...
- Iraq bombings kill 19 in Sadr City and Ramadi
- Biden's Rhetoric and Iraq - Not a Way Forward
- Roger Cohen on Iran's elections, and Iran's greatn...
- Climate Change and Iraq
- Netanyahu's Chutzpah
- More shades of Vietnam
- Iraq's and Afghanistan's Woes Continue, while Iran...
- 18 hurt by Baghdad bomb targeting Shiite pilgrims ...
- The Black Hole that is Bagram
- A Shii Festival approaches in Iraq = Trouble?
- WINEP's Singh: Make the Iranians crack
- More on the Most Moral Army in the World
- Under the Radar: Gaza's Plight . . . and a Growing...
- More on Mr. Obama's War
- Graveyards of Empires . . . and Presidents
- On the Han-Uighur tensions in Xinjiang
- Iraq's Unraveling Continues
- Another Dire Report out of Israel
- Netanyahu, Iraq, and Steve McNair
- Afghan Forces Missing From Helmand Offensive?!
- Iraq's rebuff of US has element of posturing
- One-day Afghan death toll of U.S. troops hits 7
- U.S. wants Iran to know it can be attacked
- Iran, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Israel - Be very afra...
- Link Between Iraq Violence and Troop Withdrawals I...
- Afghanistan: 2 U.S. Soldiers Killed in Taliban Att...
- Vietnam, Part deux?
- More from the "Liberators" of Iraq
- The US "Liberation" of Iraq
- A Final(?) Dispatch from Tehran
- ▼ July (46)