If this is indeed the case, and if Obama was serious in his definition of the goals for the Afghanistan intervention (= to keep al-Qaeda from setting up shop there), isn't it logical to conclude that a major infusion of troops (dare we say, "Surge") is not needed.
Unless the actual goal is to completely eliminate the Taliban. They are indeed a hateful bunch in so many ways, but the fact of the matter is that they have become, to a significant degree, an expression of nationalist resistance (be it Afghan nationalism or, perhaps more likely, Pashtun ethnic nationalism) against foreign occupiers. Inserting tens of thousands more US forces is not going to defeat or eliminate them, just as inserting hundreds of thousands US forces into South Vietnam neither eliminated the Viet Cong nor brought Vietnam into the US's political orbit.
- ► 2012 (165)
- ► 2011 (339)
- ► 2010 (305)
- Iran, the US, and China
- more fear-mongering on Iran in the NYT op-eds
- On bombing Iran: the usual suspects are weighing i...
- Gideon Levy on Netanyahu's UN speech
- David Brooks using Obama's words against him to st...
- More pressure on Iran - and more scare-mongering
- Can the Taliban be defeated militarily?
- Obama leap-frogs the settlement freeze
- More tough-guy nonsense from Thomas Friedman
- The Afghan graveyard: America's turn?
- Israel "Vindicated" in Gaza?!
- Seven Days in May Redux? Or, Truman v. MacArthur?
- The McChrystal report: Now it hits the fan
- Upcoming meeting among Obama, Netanyahu, and Abbas...
- Desecration of Arab history
- Some sage counsel from Zbig Brzezinski
- How the Taliban capitalize on the corrupted Afghan...
- Obama widens the Hamas-Fatah-PA Divide - and trash...
- Obama's missile-shield backtrack
- The US's Shameful Response to the Goldstone Report...
- Afghanistan Debate is Surging, as is Israel's Ange...
- McChrystal: No significant al-Qaeda presence in Af...
- Graham, Lieberman, and McCain: The US must "prevai...
- Republicans Have Some Explaining to do
- US Embassy Guards at Kabul "Gone Wild"
- Bring in the "Contractors": How to "Lose" in Afgha...
- ▼ September (26)