US officials evidently are increasingly confident that Pakistani Taliban leader Beitullah Mehsud may have been killed by a US missile strike. The NYT's report oozes optimism about the implications. The AP's report, on the other hand, notes that although his death would be a major blow to the Taliban, others are likely ready to step up to replace him.
It does call to mind the US strike that killed Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, the leader of al-Qaeda in Iraq, in 2006. Much was made of it, but AQI hardly missed a beat. Let's hope that Mehsud's demise - if he indeed is dead - will improve things for Pakistan's people, many of whom remain refugees from the fighting between the Pakistani army and the Taliban in regions like Swat. But I suspect that the Taliban won't be too long, or too severely, set back.
- ► 2013 (34)
- ► 2012 (165)
- ► 2011 (339)
- ► 2010 (305)
- Anthony Cordesman on "How to Lose" in Afghanistan
- Zionist Racism in Jerusalem
- Iraqi MiGs found in Serbia
- US "Strategic Communication" - Put up, or Shut up
- Congressional Republicans Raise Prospect of 'Revol...
- The reported deal between Obama and Netanyahu is a...
- Obama's Next Move in Afghanistan
- Why Israel will thwart Obama on settlements
- The Death of Abdul-Aziz al-Hakim - and Iraq's Futu...
- Another blow to US Big Oil?
- Getting that Vietnam feeling?
- Iraq: "The Insurgency is not Over"
- Afghanistan's Elections: Was There Really Much Poi...
- The Shoes I Don't Want to be in? . . .
- Michigan Republicans and CIA-bought Mercenaries
- A Tom Delay Moment from Slate mag.
- Another Setback for Iraq's Democracy
- Obama Defends Strategy in Afghanistan
- Is Obama Throwing the Palestinians under the Bus?
- Israeli Army Reports Possible Soldier Abduction
- Dick Cheney, Boy George's Historian
- The Patience of Iraq's Shii: Can It Last?
- Surging US Troops into the Afghan Black Hole
- General McChrystal Consults Historian about Vietna...
- Pakistani Taliban leader killed?
- Eric Cantor and Palestinian Dispossession
- Sanctions on Israel?
- As Israel Dispossesses West Bank Arabs, AIPAC Slam...
- More bad news on the "peace process" front
- Ahmad Chalabi Back in the Mix
- The Conundrum of Afghanistan Poppy Production
- Is Thomas Friedman a Self-Hating Jew?
- ▼ August (32)