The NY Times headlines a story with Michigan ties. It now seems that the CIA as early as 2004 was in the business of hiring mercenaries from Blackwater to assassinate al-Qaeda figures. The Bush administration regarded it no big deal, but Obama CIA director Leon Panetta saw major issues of accountability here, and blew the whistle.
The NYT also quotes Michigan Rep. Peter Hoekstra, the top Republican on the House Intelligence Committee, to the effect of saying, what's the big deal. Or, more precisely, “I think there was a little more drama and intrigue than was warranted.”
Or perhaps Hoekstra is trying to cool off this story before it does more damage to the Michigan GOP, whose latest candidate for governor was businessman Dick Devos, whose wealthy and politically connected wife is the sister of Erik Prince, who just happens to be the president of . . . did you guess? . . . Blackwater (which was recently renamed Xe).
- ► 2012 (165)
- ► 2011 (339)
- ► 2010 (305)
- Anthony Cordesman on "How to Lose" in Afghanistan
- Zionist Racism in Jerusalem
- Iraqi MiGs found in Serbia
- US "Strategic Communication" - Put up, or Shut up
- Congressional Republicans Raise Prospect of 'Revol...
- The reported deal between Obama and Netanyahu is a...
- Obama's Next Move in Afghanistan
- Why Israel will thwart Obama on settlements
- The Death of Abdul-Aziz al-Hakim - and Iraq's Futu...
- Another blow to US Big Oil?
- Getting that Vietnam feeling?
- Iraq: "The Insurgency is not Over"
- Afghanistan's Elections: Was There Really Much Poi...
- The Shoes I Don't Want to be in? . . .
- Michigan Republicans and CIA-bought Mercenaries
- A Tom Delay Moment from Slate mag.
- Another Setback for Iraq's Democracy
- Obama Defends Strategy in Afghanistan
- Is Obama Throwing the Palestinians under the Bus?
- Israeli Army Reports Possible Soldier Abduction
- Dick Cheney, Boy George's Historian
- The Patience of Iraq's Shii: Can It Last?
- Surging US Troops into the Afghan Black Hole
- General McChrystal Consults Historian about Vietna...
- Pakistani Taliban leader killed?
- Eric Cantor and Palestinian Dispossession
- Sanctions on Israel?
- As Israel Dispossesses West Bank Arabs, AIPAC Slam...
- More bad news on the "peace process" front
- Ahmad Chalabi Back in the Mix
- The Conundrum of Afghanistan Poppy Production
- Is Thomas Friedman a Self-Hating Jew?
- ▼ August (32)