My short answer = No! But his essay in today's NYT is likely to cause a few Likudniks to weigh in to that effect. He tells it like it is in re the West Bank settlements and the ruffian settler elements there, and he also make explicit reference to a "pro-Israel lobby."
But eventually Mr. Obama will have to get the Israeli government to commit to a lot more than a "moratorium" (as Friedman puts it) on settlement-building, or expansion of current settlements. Without removal of the vast majority of them, Israel has no possibility whatsoever of living in peace with its Palestinian neighbors.
Nor was peace brought any closer by Israel's action today to evict more than 50 Palestinians from their homes in East Jerusalem. The BBC report notes that the US as well as the UN and the British government.
- ► 2013 (34)
- ► 2012 (165)
- ► 2011 (339)
- ► 2010 (305)
- Anthony Cordesman on "How to Lose" in Afghanistan
- Zionist Racism in Jerusalem
- Iraqi MiGs found in Serbia
- US "Strategic Communication" - Put up, or Shut up
- Congressional Republicans Raise Prospect of 'Revol...
- The reported deal between Obama and Netanyahu is a...
- Obama's Next Move in Afghanistan
- Why Israel will thwart Obama on settlements
- The Death of Abdul-Aziz al-Hakim - and Iraq's Futu...
- Another blow to US Big Oil?
- Getting that Vietnam feeling?
- Iraq: "The Insurgency is not Over"
- Afghanistan's Elections: Was There Really Much Poi...
- The Shoes I Don't Want to be in? . . .
- Michigan Republicans and CIA-bought Mercenaries
- A Tom Delay Moment from Slate mag.
- Another Setback for Iraq's Democracy
- Obama Defends Strategy in Afghanistan
- Is Obama Throwing the Palestinians under the Bus?
- Israeli Army Reports Possible Soldier Abduction
- Dick Cheney, Boy George's Historian
- The Patience of Iraq's Shii: Can It Last?
- Surging US Troops into the Afghan Black Hole
- General McChrystal Consults Historian about Vietna...
- Pakistani Taliban leader killed?
- Eric Cantor and Palestinian Dispossession
- Sanctions on Israel?
- As Israel Dispossesses West Bank Arabs, AIPAC Slam...
- More bad news on the "peace process" front
- Ahmad Chalabi Back in the Mix
- The Conundrum of Afghanistan Poppy Production
- Is Thomas Friedman a Self-Hating Jew?
- ▼ August (32)