Talk about embedded! Thomas Friedman makes an inspection tour with General Keith Dayton in Jenin. Everyone's all spiffed up and has memorized their assigned lines. The Palestinian Authority's security forces, TF says, did their jobs well during the IDF's invasion of Gaza. The proof, according to TF? None of the inevitable demonstrators shot at Israeli soldiers! Is this then to be the yardstick of future progress? It's really all about Israel then, huh Tom?
Then Friedman pronounces on what needs to be done - or, better, what "we" (USA!) need to do - which, in this case, is to help the Palestinian Authority (= Fatah) build its internal security force and its governing institutions. Not at all a bad idea (except that without bringing in Hamas, the progress will be limited at best).
But TF seems to forget that the PA was indeed trying to build its governing institutions under Yasser Arafat, only a few years ago, when Ariel Sharon decided that Arafat could not be a real "partner for peace," and therefore sent in the IDF to destroy the infrastructure of those emerging institutions, shell Arafat's compound, and keep him bottled up there for months, until he eventually died. (And many Palestinians remain convinced that he was somehow poisoned at Sharon's orders.) Admittedly, Arafat was not particularly transparent in how he controlled the PA, and his regime was awash in corruption, but my underlying point, seems to me, is still valid.
Once upon a time, Thomas Friedman was a serious journalist.
Op-Ed Columnist - Beyond the Banks - NYTimes.com
- ► 2013 (34)
- ► 2012 (165)
- ► 2011 (339)
- ► 2010 (305)
- How the Withdrawal from Iraq will happen
- Obama Ending US "Combat Mission" in Iraq by Aug. 2...
- Juan Cole on the "Taliban"
- Important new poll of Muslim public opinion
- The Sliming of Charles Freeman
- The dilemma of oil prices for US "success"
- Fox News' concern about reported appointment of Ch...
- Playing with fire in Pakistan
- Juan Cole on the Netanyahu government
- A 360 degree panorama from one of the farming vill...
- Website of extraordinary art and images of Gaza
- A new blog on human rights: "Israel's Back Yard"
- Iraqi PM, anti-U.S. group reach local alliance dea...
- The Madonna of the neocon set
- The US and Pakistan - A vicious game
- Iran in 'backroom offers' to West
- Netanyahu's predicament grows
- David Corn on Obama's Afghanistan problem
- The campaign to re-create Avigdor Lieberman is und...
- A possibly ominous force emerging in Iraq's Shiite...
- More Krauthammer policy wisdom
- Israel's new government taking shape?
- Afghanistan: the Escalation is under way
- Obama to send 17,000 more US troops to Afghanistan...
- Is there a way forward in Afghanistan and Pakistan...
- IDF war crimes in Gaza, and US crimes in Iraq
- Krauthammer on America's '"miracle in the Middle E...
- Obama officials despair as poll outcome puts focus...
- Avigdor Lieberman: I prefer rightist coalition
- Obama and Israel's nuclear arsenal
- Anne Applebaum on building the Afghan military
- Tom Friedman's inspection tour in Jenin
- Gaza's reconstruction is going nowhere
- Preparing the ground for the body-bags to come
- Obama's closing window of opportunity
- Netanyahu, Lieberman, and the Seeds of Israel's Pa...
- Israel to Obama: Get Iran to blink, or . . .
- Hamas' popularity has surged - they're there to st...
- The horrific rise of Avigdor Lieberman
- Religious groups are ‘penetrating’ Israeli army
- A new nationalist current in Iraq?
- Kyrgyzstan Threatens To Close U.S. Base
- The growing mutual isolation of Israelis and Pales...
- An Initial Take on the Iraqi Provincial Elections
- Frightening development in lead-up to Israeli's el...
- ▼ February (45)