It's being reported that President Obama is going to appoint Charles Freeman as national intelligence director. If Obama wants to signal this his administration will be adopting a new, more balanced approach to Middle Eastern policy, I can hardly imagine a wiser choice. Freeman is on the record as a critic of the US's pro-Israel bias, and of the US's ill-conceived invasion of Iraq.
Fox News, of course, takes issue. That's their right, obviously, but to quote Frank Gaffney as worried about Freeman's "lack of objectivity"is (to put it as charitably as I cab) laughable. This is a guy who began his career working for Richard Perle; who advocated bombing al-Jazeera; and who said on the record that 4000 American soldiers indeed had to die because of the direness of Saddam's WMD threat. I've read enough of Freeman's stuff (his views appear regularly in articles published in the journal Middle East Policy) to come to admire the general soundness and moderation of his judgment. Gaffney, on the other hand, is an American-hegemonist super-hawk who would gladly cheerlead us along the trails blazed by Bush and Cheney.
- ► 2013 (34)
- ► 2012 (165)
- ► 2011 (339)
- ► 2010 (305)
- How the Withdrawal from Iraq will happen
- Obama Ending US "Combat Mission" in Iraq by Aug. 2...
- Juan Cole on the "Taliban"
- Important new poll of Muslim public opinion
- The Sliming of Charles Freeman
- The dilemma of oil prices for US "success"
- Fox News' concern about reported appointment of Ch...
- Playing with fire in Pakistan
- Juan Cole on the Netanyahu government
- A 360 degree panorama from one of the farming vill...
- Website of extraordinary art and images of Gaza
- A new blog on human rights: "Israel's Back Yard"
- Iraqi PM, anti-U.S. group reach local alliance dea...
- The Madonna of the neocon set
- The US and Pakistan - A vicious game
- Iran in 'backroom offers' to West
- Netanyahu's predicament grows
- David Corn on Obama's Afghanistan problem
- The campaign to re-create Avigdor Lieberman is und...
- A possibly ominous force emerging in Iraq's Shiite...
- More Krauthammer policy wisdom
- Israel's new government taking shape?
- Afghanistan: the Escalation is under way
- Obama to send 17,000 more US troops to Afghanistan...
- Is there a way forward in Afghanistan and Pakistan...
- IDF war crimes in Gaza, and US crimes in Iraq
- Krauthammer on America's '"miracle in the Middle E...
- Obama officials despair as poll outcome puts focus...
- Avigdor Lieberman: I prefer rightist coalition
- Obama and Israel's nuclear arsenal
- Anne Applebaum on building the Afghan military
- Tom Friedman's inspection tour in Jenin
- Gaza's reconstruction is going nowhere
- Preparing the ground for the body-bags to come
- Obama's closing window of opportunity
- Netanyahu, Lieberman, and the Seeds of Israel's Pa...
- Israel to Obama: Get Iran to blink, or . . .
- Hamas' popularity has surged - they're there to st...
- The horrific rise of Avigdor Lieberman
- Religious groups are ‘penetrating’ Israeli army
- A new nationalist current in Iraq?
- Kyrgyzstan Threatens To Close U.S. Base
- The growing mutual isolation of Israelis and Pales...
- An Initial Take on the Iraqi Provincial Elections
- Frightening development in lead-up to Israeli's el...
- ▼ February (45)