Great feed from Barbara A on this one. (The WaPo's Dana Milbank on "Prince of Darkness Denies Own Existence ") And I'm not referring to the Blessed Virgin in the title. I'm referring to the Michigan native Madonna who's made a career of reinventing herself in order to stay near the top of the heap. And in the neocon world, we're talking Richard Perle, who has thousands of dollars, opportunities for interviews and think-tank appearances, and whatever future he may have left as a celebrity expert riding on his ability to wiggle out of his culpability in bringing the Iraq war down on the US and the world. Now, says Perle, there were no neocons, nor did anyone of such ilk have anything to do with Bush's decision to invade Iraq.
This is the same Perle who was asked (and I heard this at the time, in 2003, with mine own ears) what the US's "success" in taking down Saddam meant for other unfriendly Middle East regime. His response was: "You're next."
Milbank skewers him, but good, and Perle deserves it. But this is no sudden turn-around on Perle's part. Some of us were appalled a couple of years ago when PBS ran a special documentary about the invasion of Iraq and included as one of the major segments a long interview (much more than an interview; more like a visit) with Mr. Perle, who morphed into a kindly avuncular type and with sweet reasonableness assured the audience that the invasion of Iraq was oh-so-well-intentioned, a great thing, really. And the interviewer did practically nothing to point out the realities or press him on the issues and facts. (Admittedly, this was during the heart of the Bush presidency, at a time when some were demanding that PBS's support be reduced or eliminated, so the network may have been trying to demonstrate "balance" and save its own skin. Nonetheless, it was not one of PBS's better moments.)
- ► 2012 (165)
- ► 2011 (339)
- ► 2010 (305)
- How the Withdrawal from Iraq will happen
- Obama Ending US "Combat Mission" in Iraq by Aug. 2...
- Juan Cole on the "Taliban"
- Important new poll of Muslim public opinion
- The Sliming of Charles Freeman
- The dilemma of oil prices for US "success"
- Fox News' concern about reported appointment of Ch...
- Playing with fire in Pakistan
- Juan Cole on the Netanyahu government
- A 360 degree panorama from one of the farming vill...
- Website of extraordinary art and images of Gaza
- A new blog on human rights: "Israel's Back Yard"
- Iraqi PM, anti-U.S. group reach local alliance dea...
- The Madonna of the neocon set
- The US and Pakistan - A vicious game
- Iran in 'backroom offers' to West
- Netanyahu's predicament grows
- David Corn on Obama's Afghanistan problem
- The campaign to re-create Avigdor Lieberman is und...
- A possibly ominous force emerging in Iraq's Shiite...
- More Krauthammer policy wisdom
- Israel's new government taking shape?
- Afghanistan: the Escalation is under way
- Obama to send 17,000 more US troops to Afghanistan...
- Is there a way forward in Afghanistan and Pakistan...
- IDF war crimes in Gaza, and US crimes in Iraq
- Krauthammer on America's '"miracle in the Middle E...
- Obama officials despair as poll outcome puts focus...
- Avigdor Lieberman: I prefer rightist coalition
- Obama and Israel's nuclear arsenal
- Anne Applebaum on building the Afghan military
- Tom Friedman's inspection tour in Jenin
- Gaza's reconstruction is going nowhere
- Preparing the ground for the body-bags to come
- Obama's closing window of opportunity
- Netanyahu, Lieberman, and the Seeds of Israel's Pa...
- Israel to Obama: Get Iran to blink, or . . .
- Hamas' popularity has surged - they're there to st...
- The horrific rise of Avigdor Lieberman
- Religious groups are ‘penetrating’ Israeli army
- A new nationalist current in Iraq?
- Kyrgyzstan Threatens To Close U.S. Base
- The growing mutual isolation of Israelis and Pales...
- An Initial Take on the Iraqi Provincial Elections
- Frightening development in lead-up to Israeli's el...
- ▼ February (45)