Egyptians' joy will linger long, but many challenges lie well down the road, as well as right around that corner they've just turned. Anthony Shadid makes a nice stab at many of them in his NY Times analysis today. I also recommend reading George Saghir's recent take (first posted to Joshua Landis' excellent Syria Comment blog) on what faces Syria, which hasn't turned that corner, but where the problems mirror those in Egypt - among them, skyrocketing population growth coupled with poor economic performance.
- ► 2013 (34)
- ► 2012 (165)
- Andrew Bacevich's Excellent Prescriptions for US i...
- Welcome to the New, Democratic Iraq
- Iraq's Deadly "Day of Rage"
- Maliki Tarring Legitimate Protest with Baathist Br...
- Israel's Hard Choices
- Libya, Bahrain, Oil Prices - and Martian Landings
- Egypt's Revolt, Lebanon, and Iraq
- More about the Stakes in Bahrain
- With UNSC Veto, Obama is on the Wrong Side of Hist...
- The Stakes in Bahrain
- Israel says Iranian warships near Suez
- Egypt's "Democracy": Can the Dream be Realized?
- Egypt's Treaty with Israel: the IDF's Enabler?
- Max Boot: US needs to stay in Iraq. Could it happ...
- Egypt's Challenges - Around the Corner, and Down t...
- The Next Crisis? Mubarak Out. Army In. Gaza?
- A Great Day for Egypt, But Heavy Lifting Still Ahe...
- Mubarak: Wily Manipulator, or Defiant Dodderer?
- A New Era of Arab Democracy?
- Afghan Air War Doubles
- Obama ripped in Congress over Egypt, Lebanon
- Tariq Ramadan on the Muslim Brotherhood and Middle...
- America's Islamist Hypocrisy: Egypt and Iraq
- More Hasbara from Richard Cohen
- "Mubarakism without Mubarak"?
- Wikileaks exposes Omar Suleiman as Israel's Favori...
- Mubarak's Going Nowhere
- Egypt's Potentially Bogus Transition
- Hillary's Metaphorical Muff
- Sarah Palin on Obama's Handling of Egypt Crisis
- The Legacy of the Surge
- Did You Think Iraq was Done?
- Egyptian turmoil complicates Israeli-Palestinian p...
- Netanyahu commits to promoting Arab construction i...
- Iraq: Bombs in Anbar Kill 10, Mostly Police Office...
- From the Other Journalist Cohen: Sensible and Stir...
- Egypt Endgame and US Options
- Egypt VP Omar Suleiman: We need to keep Parliament...
- Egypt's Democratic Revolt - from Tahrir Square, An...
- Egypt's End-game Still Far over the Horizon
- US in the Middle East: The Eagle is Grounded, but ...
- Would President Huckabee advocate forced relocatio...
- Bibi and His Boys Bash the Brothers, too
- WaPo's Richard Cohen Bashes the Brothers
- ▼ February (44)
- ► 2010 (305)
- ► 2009 (440)