Short but illuminating piece from Middle East Online, about the emigration of the Sabeans/Mandeans of Iraq, an Aramaic-using sect with ties to both early Judaism and early Christianity. In one episode of his pre-Gulf War series "Legacy" (which I've been showing to my classes for almost 20 years), Michael Wood featured a Mandean wedding. Now the community seems to be nearing extinction, at least in Iraq, courtesy of Messrs. Saddam Hussein and Bush pere et fils.
- ► 2013 (34)
- ► 2012 (165)
- ► 2011 (339)
- Rattling the Cage: One man’s terrorist
- Ominous news from Afghanistan; even worse news fro...
- Another Israeli P.R. Coup
- Want to learn something about the history of Jerus...
- Iraq's Violence is Down? There's No Chance of Ira...
- Clinton's Camp David talks, 10 years after
- Israel can't survive without the settlements
- Hans Blix on Bush-Blair
- McCain on Iraq: "We already won that one."
- Roger Cohen on the Gaza Freedom Flotilla . . and t...
- Iraq Simmers . . .
- Time Mag on the Wikileaks Doc Dump
- Update - The Great Wikileaks leak . . .
- The Great Wikileaks leak . . .
- Obama's friend Rashid Khalidi raising funds for ne...
- The US's "Moral Obligations" in Afghanistan
- “Mother Nature always bats last, and she always ba...
- Is Informed Opinion on the Afghanistan Mission Shi...
- The Brouhaha over the Ground Zero Mosque
- The Death of Iraq's Religious Diversity
- Patrick Cockburn on the Retreat from Afghanistan
- 'The very existence of Iraq is in danger'
- Make of this what you will . . .
- Turkey's continuing emergence
- Afghanistan-Iraq-Iran: A three-front war?
- RECOMMENDED! The lost cause in Afghanistan
- RECOMMENDED! Petraeus runs into resistance from Ka...
- What's to come in Iraq
- Rami Khouri - and Octavia Nasr - on the Death of G...
- Marine General Mattis as new Centcom Commander
- ▼ July (30)
- ► 2009 (440)