Interestingly, Juan Cole at Informed Comment has been trying to reassure his readers that Pakistan is actually in no real danger of coming apart. Analyses such as this onesurely call that into question. What I can certainly envision as a real possibility is an attempted military take-over - something to which Pakistan has become all too accustomed over the years since its creation in 1947. And when you have a character as corrupt and indecisive as Asif Ali Zardari (widower of Benazir Bhutto, who for all of the glorification of her after her assassination was not exactly a model of transparency in democracy) as president, all the more reason for the military to step in if the situation spirals downward even more. However, the pro-democracy feeling has burgeoned among Pakistan's middle class, who will likely not respond well to a military coup. The likely consequence would be urban demonstrations and rioting in Islamabad and elsewhere, as well as a dangerously discomfited India.
How all this might spill out beyond Pakistan would have, of course, a major impact on Mr. Obama's plans for Afghanistan and eliminating al-Qaeda.
- ► 2013 (34)
- ► 2012 (165)
- ► 2011 (339)
- ► 2010 (305)
- The death of Salamo Arouch
- Is Iraq Coming Apart?
- The danger of an Israeli strike on Iran
- "Hebrew Socialist Republic?"
- Opinion | Guest Columnist | Heed voices calling fo...
- Lieberman: Israel will not attack Iran
- Hillary Clinton, the West Bank, and Netanyahu
- Hillary channels Dick Cheney
- "We cannot ... let this go on any further"
- Juan Cole on the Jane Harman Affair
- Extremist Tide Rises in Pakistan
- Anti-Arab racism in Israeli society
- Plan for Palestinian state is 'dead end,' Israel t...
- Interrogation Memos Detail Harsh Tactics by the C....
- Rahm Emanuel on the Two-state solution
- The "Economist": US must reduce aid to Israel
- A setback for local democracy in Iraq
- March of the Taliban
- 1, 2, 3 . . . What are we fighting for . . ?"
- The Squeeze Play against the Sunni Awakening
- "These People Fear Prosecution"
- Violence in Baghdad was "a last gasp" of Islamic e...
- Reports of Hezbollah ring plotting against Egypt
- A paid political announcement by the Likud party
- Some encouraging signs about Obama, Israel, and Ir...
- Netanyahu wants peace without a Palestinian state
- Might Pakistan come apart?
- A Saner Approach to Iran's nuclear enrichment
- Afghanistan = Vietnam?
- "New" book on the Armenian Genocide
- Iraq: Is it over? Not by a long shot!
- Finally, someone writes of the US's moral obligati...
- Can Iraq survive a US withdrawal?
- ▼ April (33)