This is horrible to contemplate, but it looks as if Iraq may be starting to come apart again. Iraq's security forces are simply not up to the task of controlling various Sunni insurgent/resistance groups enough to make people feel really secure. The more that Baghdad is hammered, the less people will feel able to trust the forces of a still fragile central government, and the more incentive for Shiite groups like the long dormant Mahdi army to take up arms again, at least to protect the residents of Sadr City. Meanwhile, Mosul is still up for grabs, as is the situation in Kirkuk; there's been no real progress on Sunni-Shii reconciliation (and the Baath supporters of Saddam Hussein are still out there, still feeling very aggrieved and disenfranchised - and the Maliki government is adamantly opposed to letting them back into the affairs of state). And the more the Sunnis seem resurgent, the more ramped up become the fears of the Kurds in the north, who have indelible memories of suffering at the hands of Iraq's pre-2003 Sunni-dominated governments.
All of which confronts Mr. Obama with a huge problem.
- ► 2013 (34)
- ► 2012 (165)
- ► 2011 (339)
- ► 2010 (305)
- The death of Salamo Arouch
- Is Iraq Coming Apart?
- The danger of an Israeli strike on Iran
- "Hebrew Socialist Republic?"
- Opinion | Guest Columnist | Heed voices calling fo...
- Lieberman: Israel will not attack Iran
- Hillary Clinton, the West Bank, and Netanyahu
- Hillary channels Dick Cheney
- "We cannot ... let this go on any further"
- Juan Cole on the Jane Harman Affair
- Extremist Tide Rises in Pakistan
- Anti-Arab racism in Israeli society
- Plan for Palestinian state is 'dead end,' Israel t...
- Interrogation Memos Detail Harsh Tactics by the C....
- Rahm Emanuel on the Two-state solution
- The "Economist": US must reduce aid to Israel
- A setback for local democracy in Iraq
- March of the Taliban
- 1, 2, 3 . . . What are we fighting for . . ?"
- The Squeeze Play against the Sunni Awakening
- "These People Fear Prosecution"
- Violence in Baghdad was "a last gasp" of Islamic e...
- Reports of Hezbollah ring plotting against Egypt
- A paid political announcement by the Likud party
- Some encouraging signs about Obama, Israel, and Ir...
- Netanyahu wants peace without a Palestinian state
- Might Pakistan come apart?
- A Saner Approach to Iran's nuclear enrichment
- Afghanistan = Vietnam?
- "New" book on the Armenian Genocide
- Iraq: Is it over? Not by a long shot!
- Finally, someone writes of the US's moral obligati...
- Can Iraq survive a US withdrawal?
- ▼ April (33)