(with a hat-tip to the "Mondoweiss" site, which I highly recommend for regular visitation). The Economist is no one's idea of a partisan lefty-liberal rag. Their view: that if the Netanyahu-Lieberman government won't sign on to work honestly toward a two-state solution, then the US needs to cut aid to Israel. And they also encourage the US (via George Mitchell's special ambassorship) to sit down with Hamas in hopes of some reconciliation with Mahmoud Abbas and Fatah.
I might also humbly add another recommendation: that if Netanyahu comes to Obama with a deal that he'll sign on for a Palestinian state in return for US support for an Israeli air-strike on Iran, President Obama say "absolutely, positively, unequivocally, no" - and make it plain that if Netanyahu proceeds along those lines, that US aid and diplomatic cover for Israel will cease immediately, and completely.
- ► 2012 (165)
- ► 2011 (339)
- ► 2010 (305)
- The death of Salamo Arouch
- Is Iraq Coming Apart?
- The danger of an Israeli strike on Iran
- "Hebrew Socialist Republic?"
- Opinion | Guest Columnist | Heed voices calling fo...
- Lieberman: Israel will not attack Iran
- Hillary Clinton, the West Bank, and Netanyahu
- Hillary channels Dick Cheney
- "We cannot ... let this go on any further"
- Juan Cole on the Jane Harman Affair
- Extremist Tide Rises in Pakistan
- Anti-Arab racism in Israeli society
- Plan for Palestinian state is 'dead end,' Israel t...
- Interrogation Memos Detail Harsh Tactics by the C....
- Rahm Emanuel on the Two-state solution
- The "Economist": US must reduce aid to Israel
- A setback for local democracy in Iraq
- March of the Taliban
- 1, 2, 3 . . . What are we fighting for . . ?"
- The Squeeze Play against the Sunni Awakening
- "These People Fear Prosecution"
- Violence in Baghdad was "a last gasp" of Islamic e...
- Reports of Hezbollah ring plotting against Egypt
- A paid political announcement by the Likud party
- Some encouraging signs about Obama, Israel, and Ir...
- Netanyahu wants peace without a Palestinian state
- Might Pakistan come apart?
- A Saner Approach to Iran's nuclear enrichment
- Afghanistan = Vietnam?
- "New" book on the Armenian Genocide
- Iraq: Is it over? Not by a long shot!
- Finally, someone writes of the US's moral obligati...
- Can Iraq survive a US withdrawal?
- ▼ April (33)