The NYT's Carlotta Gall reports on how the Pakistan and Afghan Taliban have coalesced - and her report includes one of those pictures worth a 1000 words, of throngs milling at a funeral for a person killed by a US Predator attack.
Meanwhile, in Pakistan today, as the NYT also reports, a mosque located about 12 miles from the northwestern city of Peshawar, on the main road between Pakistan and Afghanistan (i.e., the main supply route for US and NATO forces in Afghanistan), was hit by a suicide bomber, with at least 48 killed. Once again, the US is served notice that the Pakistani army may not be up to the job of securing the region, or the route. And when you factor in the fact that elements of the ISI, Pakistan's military intelligence service, have long been in cahoots with the Taliban . . . .
Mr. Obama now has his own "long" war, and the goal that he has set is going to require long and large commitment that will be hideously expensive in lives and treasure. And I don't mean just US lives. A ramped-up military effort that entails continued - or expanded - use of drones and airstrikes is going to produce a lot more "collateral damage" - innocent villagers wasted by US munitions. That in turn produces angry people intent on avenging those deaths - on the persons of US soldiers and marines; and it also produces images (which can be flashed worldwide almost instantaneously) of more Muslims killed by Americans, at huge expense to whatever hopes Obama has of recultivating the US's image abroad, especially in Muslim countries.
- ► 2013 (34)
- ► 2012 (165)
- ► 2011 (339)
- ► 2010 (305)
- Baghdad Awakening group disarmed
- A crucial test in Iraq: a must-read in today's WaP...
- The "Surge"'s Feet of Clay?
- More on what the US has stepped into in Afpak
- Obama's Plan for Afghanistan
- The Violence continues in Baghdad
- Netanyahu has his fig-leaf
- Roger Cohen on Obama's outreach to Iran
- Jackson Diehl - Critical Mass in Afghanistan - was...
- Bad news from Israel
- Is the US going to re-fashion Afghanistan's govern...
- Criticism of the IDF's Rampage in Gaza continues
- My newest op-ed is up at War in Context
- What makes Iraq go 'round . . .
- Iraq, Six Years after "Liberation"
- More Fun and Games with the World's Most Moral Arm...
- Obama Must Follow Through on Outreach to Iran
- Iraq's Changing Political Map: Democracy or Dictat...
- Soldiers’ Accounts of Gaza Killings Raise Furor in...
- The Crimes of the IDF in Gaza
- Pakistani officials not happy with US's plans
- (The Iraq) War: What Is It Good For?
- Obama may be planning to expand military activity ...
- The Value of Knowing Arabic
- Powerful testimony from an American eyewitness in ...
- More good sense on Iran from Roger Cohen
- The Armenian Genocide of 1915 remains a live issue...
- The Dilemmas of US Forces on the Ground in Afghani...
- IDF "mementos" left in Gazan's houses
- Hillary dissed by the mayor of Jerusalem (update)
- Is Charles Schumer trying to get Chas Freeman Cann...
- US invites Iran to join Afghan talks
- Hillary Clinton and Jerusalem house demolitions (a...
- Helen Cobban in the West Bank
- Hillary Clinton speaks out about Israel's demoliti...
- The West Bank outposts/settlements - how about col...
- What Israel is keeping out of Gaza. Would you bel...
- Some sane comment about Iran
- Frank Rich sounds an alarm
- ▼ March (39)