The Guardian tends to employ stronger verbs (like "condemns") than do the US mainstream media when it comes to criticizing Israel,
Hillary Clinton condemns Israel's demolition of Arab East Jerusalem homes | World news | guardian.co.uk
but Hillary Clinton's statements about Israel's barbarous practice of demolishing Palestinian Arabs' houses on flimsy legal pretexts are indeed stronger than anything we've heard over the past 8 years from any State Department official - including either Condi Rice or Colin Powell - and they are likely to draw some fire from the AIPAC crowd, the Israel-firsters in Congress, Rush Limbaugh, and dozens of literalist-fundamentalist rabbis and Sunday preachers all over the US.
Bear in mind, by the way, that we are at about the sixth anniversary of the killing of Rachel Corrie, the young American who was run over and killed by an IDF bulldozer in Rafah while she tried to stand in the way to prevent the demolition of a house. The entire act was recorded on camera, but the operator incurred no serious prosecution; our brave leaders in Congress refused to criticize the action or censure Israel in any fashion; and in the years to follow, attempts to dramatize and remember her life in theatrical productions in New York city were vilified and closed down. Her parents have worked tirelessly to keep her case in the public eye and to have our government pursue some appropriate legal or diplomatic action, but have for all intents and purposes been cold-shouldered.
Back to Hillary. She's set a very different tone in US-Israel relations from that of her predecessor, in some ways, and it's also encouraging that she's reaching out to Syria. But the Obama people continue to waste valuable time by (1) refusing to deal with Hamas as a legitimate political representative of the Palestinians, and (2) continuing to try to bolster PA president Mahmoud Abbas. The Guardian runs a warm and fuzzy photo of him with Hillary today. For the last two and a half years, the US tried to inflate some credibility into him (like a patched-up bicycle tire) by having him appear in countless photo opps with Ehud Olmert, Condi Rice and even W himself. Yet all the picture-taking, phony shmoozing, and pointless talking got Mr. Abbas absolutely zilch in terms of justice for his people from the Israeli government. And the Palestinian people know that, and see him for the laughing stock he's become.
- ► 2012 (165)
- ► 2011 (339)
- ► 2010 (305)
- Baghdad Awakening group disarmed
- A crucial test in Iraq: a must-read in today's WaP...
- The "Surge"'s Feet of Clay?
- More on what the US has stepped into in Afpak
- Obama's Plan for Afghanistan
- The Violence continues in Baghdad
- Netanyahu has his fig-leaf
- Roger Cohen on Obama's outreach to Iran
- Jackson Diehl - Critical Mass in Afghanistan - was...
- Bad news from Israel
- Is the US going to re-fashion Afghanistan's govern...
- Criticism of the IDF's Rampage in Gaza continues
- My newest op-ed is up at War in Context
- What makes Iraq go 'round . . .
- Iraq, Six Years after "Liberation"
- More Fun and Games with the World's Most Moral Arm...
- Obama Must Follow Through on Outreach to Iran
- Iraq's Changing Political Map: Democracy or Dictat...
- Soldiers’ Accounts of Gaza Killings Raise Furor in...
- The Crimes of the IDF in Gaza
- Pakistani officials not happy with US's plans
- (The Iraq) War: What Is It Good For?
- Obama may be planning to expand military activity ...
- The Value of Knowing Arabic
- Powerful testimony from an American eyewitness in ...
- More good sense on Iran from Roger Cohen
- The Armenian Genocide of 1915 remains a live issue...
- The Dilemmas of US Forces on the Ground in Afghani...
- IDF "mementos" left in Gazan's houses
- Hillary dissed by the mayor of Jerusalem (update)
- Is Charles Schumer trying to get Chas Freeman Cann...
- US invites Iran to join Afghan talks
- Hillary Clinton and Jerusalem house demolitions (a...
- Helen Cobban in the West Bank
- Hillary Clinton speaks out about Israel's demoliti...
- The West Bank outposts/settlements - how about col...
- What Israel is keeping out of Gaza. Would you bel...
- Some sane comment about Iran
- Frank Rich sounds an alarm
- ▼ March (39)