The last couple of days have brought more critical commentary and reporting on both the IDF's atrocities in the December-January Gaza operation and the possibility that the Netanyahu coalition government will include anti-Arab racist, Avigdor Lieberman, as foreign secretary. I highly recommend Tony Karon's latest essay in The National, as well as reporting by Amira Hass in Haaretz on how IDF soldiers trashed the houses they occupied in Gaza during the hostilities, and finally, also in Haaretz, Gideon Levy, with an essay that declares that the IDF long ago stopped being the "most moral army in the world," which has long been its claim.
And I also encourage you to look into the ongoing, almost rapid-fire postings by Adam Horowitz and Phil Weiss at the Mondoweiss blog. Both men are extremely bright, thoughtful, eloquent writers who are also very well-informed about current issues and discussions in the US Jewish community - both neocons and liberals - in the aftermath of Operation Cast Lead. They see a real sea-change in attitudes, especially within the liberal Jewish community, toward what they unabashedly refer to as the Israel Lobby, and toward Israel policy toward the Palestinians.
- ► 2013 (34)
- ► 2012 (165)
- ► 2011 (339)
- ► 2010 (305)
- Baghdad Awakening group disarmed
- A crucial test in Iraq: a must-read in today's WaP...
- The "Surge"'s Feet of Clay?
- More on what the US has stepped into in Afpak
- Obama's Plan for Afghanistan
- The Violence continues in Baghdad
- Netanyahu has his fig-leaf
- Roger Cohen on Obama's outreach to Iran
- Jackson Diehl - Critical Mass in Afghanistan - was...
- Bad news from Israel
- Is the US going to re-fashion Afghanistan's govern...
- Criticism of the IDF's Rampage in Gaza continues
- My newest op-ed is up at War in Context
- What makes Iraq go 'round . . .
- Iraq, Six Years after "Liberation"
- More Fun and Games with the World's Most Moral Arm...
- Obama Must Follow Through on Outreach to Iran
- Iraq's Changing Political Map: Democracy or Dictat...
- Soldiers’ Accounts of Gaza Killings Raise Furor in...
- The Crimes of the IDF in Gaza
- Pakistani officials not happy with US's plans
- (The Iraq) War: What Is It Good For?
- Obama may be planning to expand military activity ...
- The Value of Knowing Arabic
- Powerful testimony from an American eyewitness in ...
- More good sense on Iran from Roger Cohen
- The Armenian Genocide of 1915 remains a live issue...
- The Dilemmas of US Forces on the Ground in Afghani...
- IDF "mementos" left in Gazan's houses
- Hillary dissed by the mayor of Jerusalem (update)
- Is Charles Schumer trying to get Chas Freeman Cann...
- US invites Iran to join Afghan talks
- Hillary Clinton and Jerusalem house demolitions (a...
- Helen Cobban in the West Bank
- Hillary Clinton speaks out about Israel's demoliti...
- The West Bank outposts/settlements - how about col...
- What Israel is keeping out of Gaza. Would you bel...
- Some sane comment about Iran
- Frank Rich sounds an alarm
- ▼ March (39)