Mr. Obama's outreach to Iran is an important step that comes early in his administration, but was long, long overdue in terms of US-Iran relations - and you can be sure that diplomatic Neanderthals like John Bolton and Charles Krauthammer will be bellowing from their peculiar pulpits.
But having reached out, Mr. Obama must now follow through, and skillfully. Obama is preaching respect for Iran's civilization, etc., saying many of the right things, but the Iranians will be looking for actions that reflect the words, and that suggest that the US recogizes Iran as a regional power whom it ought to approach as a peer, not as a hegemon. And the timing here is crucial. As Haaretz has reported, Muhammad Khatami, the reformist ex-president of Iran, has exhorted all the reformist groups in Iran to unite behind this year's reformist candidate, Mr. Kossavi. At the end of his own presidency, Mr. Khatami's outreach to the US (which included significant cooperation with the US in the wake of 9-11) was undercut by Bush's idiotic State of the Union address that identified Iran as part of the "axis of evil." That stung terribly in Iran, and destroyed any credibility Khatami's policies still had at the time.
Iran's current president, the conservative Mahmud Ahmadinejad, is running again in the June elections, but is widely seen as vulnerable because of the failures of his economic policy and the stridency of his anti-US rhetoric. The reformists may have a real opening to make some gains, but a failure by Obama and his Iran team (of whom the Iranians are rightfully wary, as it's led by Dennis Ross, seen by many as attached at the hip to the Israel Lobby) to follow through, and soon, could undercut the reformists and cement another term for Mr. Ahmadinejad. If that were to happen, the chances of a US-supported Israeli attack on Iran, in my estimation, go up significantly - with consequences I can only shudder to imagine.
Los Angeles Times: Obama overture elicits cautious response from Iran
- November (4)
- October (3)
- September (2)
- August (3)
- July (1)
- June (4)
- April (1)
- March (4)
- February (4)
- January (8)
- December (4)
- November (5)
- October (15)
- September (16)
- August (23)
- July (18)
- June (12)
- May (12)
- April (9)
- March (10)
- February (16)
- January (25)
- December (7)
- November (19)
- October (26)
- September (35)
- August (16)
- July (22)
- June (32)
- May (44)
- April (39)
- March (30)
- February (44)
- January (25)
- December (19)
- November (34)
- October (27)
- September (27)
- August (37)
- July (30)
- June (19)
- May (19)
- April (19)
- March (18)
- February (27)
- January (29)
- December (25)
- November (30)
- October (28)
- September (26)
- August (32)
- July (46)
- June (50)
- May (27)
- April (33)
- Baghdad Awakening group disarmed
- A crucial test in Iraq: a must-read in today's WaP...
- The "Surge"'s Feet of Clay?
- More on what the US has stepped into in Afpak
- Obama's Plan for Afghanistan
- The Violence continues in Baghdad
- Netanyahu has his fig-leaf
- Roger Cohen on Obama's outreach to Iran
- Jackson Diehl - Critical Mass in Afghanistan - was...
- Bad news from Israel
- Is the US going to re-fashion Afghanistan's govern...
- Criticism of the IDF's Rampage in Gaza continues
- My newest op-ed is up at War in Context
- What makes Iraq go 'round . . .
- Iraq, Six Years after "Liberation"
- More Fun and Games with the World's Most Moral Arm...
- Obama Must Follow Through on Outreach to Iran
- Iraq's Changing Political Map: Democracy or Dictat...
- Soldiers’ Accounts of Gaza Killings Raise Furor in...
- The Crimes of the IDF in Gaza
- Pakistani officials not happy with US's plans
- (The Iraq) War: What Is It Good For?
- Obama may be planning to expand military activity ...
- The Value of Knowing Arabic
- Powerful testimony from an American eyewitness in ...
- More good sense on Iran from Roger Cohen
- The Armenian Genocide of 1915 remains a live issue...
- The Dilemmas of US Forces on the Ground in Afghani...
- IDF "mementos" left in Gazan's houses
- Hillary dissed by the mayor of Jerusalem (update)
- Is Charles Schumer trying to get Chas Freeman Cann...
- US invites Iran to join Afghan talks
- Hillary Clinton and Jerusalem house demolitions (a...
- Helen Cobban in the West Bank
- Hillary Clinton speaks out about Israel's demoliti...
- The West Bank outposts/settlements - how about col...
- What Israel is keeping out of Gaza. Would you bel...
- Some sane comment about Iran
- Frank Rich sounds an alarm
- February (45)
- January (59)