The Jewish Daily Forward publishes a well-detailed account of Ehud Olmert's public dissing of Condi Rice. Old news by now. More disturbing are the statements by leaders of various groups that comprise the "Israel lobby" - all of whom seemed to feel that Rice was fair game and that Olmert's actions and words were appropriate, and excoriated the Bush administration for failing to veto the 8 January Security Council resolution. As the author, Nathan Gutman, notes:
The tough words from Israel and Jewish groups toward the outgoing administration will make little difference for Bush and Rice, who leave office January 20. But they will serve as a message to the incoming administration led by President-elect Barack Obama and his choice for secretary of state, Hillary Rodham Clinton.
“This is a battle that needed to be taken,” Foxman said. “We don’t win all our battles, but we can’t simply accept that the Security Council is what the Security Council is.”
I expect guys like Abe Foxman and his ilk to come gunning for Obama at the first sign of a swerve from the AIPAC/ADL line. Maybe this is where Rahm Emanuel earns his spurs.
- ► 2013 (34)
- ► 2012 (165)
- ► 2011 (339)
- ► 2010 (305)
- Obama seems unlikely to widen war in Afghanistan
- A huge day for Iraq: provincial elections
- HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! A wonderful personal account
- Fascinating NYT article on Gaza-Rafah smuggling
- Krauthammer on Obama's interview with al-Arabiya
- Aaron David Miller on "peace process"
- 60 Dem Congressmen ask Hillary to intervene for Ga...
- A Central Asian Valhalla?
- Gaza's damaged children
- Joe Biden is preparing the ground for a new "Surge...
- A Must-Read from Haaretz - The Racism of the IDF's...
- "The Peace Process is over"
- Netanyahu: Existing West Bank settlements will gro...
- Israeli war against Hamas scars Gaza's children
- Tom Friedman says "This is not a Test." Wow, real...
- JR's latest op-ed at "War in Context"
- On the Taliban Insurgency in Afghanistan
- The Beat Goes On in Iraq
- A Better Way Forward in the Middle East
- A Test for Obama . . . in Bolivia!
- The skinny on Dennis Ross' aborted liftoff
- Are the Saudis putting Obama on notice?
- The big upsides of George Mitchell
- What were the Israelis expecting?
- Barack Obama and the burden of excessive expectati...
- Gaza: IDF leaving, Gazans see what's left
- Rising Tensions between Kurds and the Baghdad gove...
- Ehud Barak's rehabilitation?
- Obama's feet to the Fire?
- Tarring Obama with Hamas connection?
- The costs of "Cast Lead"
- The UN, the US, and Israel: This is the song that ...
- I'll say it again: A major reckoning awaits, and O...
- Obama's Middle East missteps
- Iran president: 'Not feasible' for Israel to live
- AN OUTSTANDING OP-ED! KUHN: When Israel expelled P...
- Hamas and the people of Gaza
- Again, Thomas Friedman bends the facts
- You-Tube video of pro-Israel demonstration in NYC
- WSJ op-ed: Force those lazy Gazans to get real job...
- Divisions within the Israeli leadership
- "That's War"
- Finally, some sanity from the Washington Post
- Gaza and the Rhetoric of War
- An eloquent protest and appeal found on the Missin...
- The Tunnels of Gaza, and Why the People There Need...
- Implications of Israel's Upcoming Elections
- The WSJ and Israel's War Crimes
- Tzipi Livni speaks for the Palestinians (?!)
- Gaza victims' burns increase concern over phosphor...
- More on Obama's willingness to deal with Hamas
- Petraeus may see US need to work with Iran
- Report that Obama is willing to talk with Hamas
- MUST READS in the New York Times
- Obama's Disturbing Middle East Appointments
- Finally, some critical reports on Gaza from the NY...
- Gaza and the media campaign
- A Forgotten War that we ignore at our own peril
- ▼ January (59)