For those of you who have the stomach for it . . . . .
The New York Times asked several "experts" in military affairs for their comments on the 5th anniversary of the US invasion of Iraq. Among the luminaries are Richard Perle (neocon cheerleader who now has absolved himself of all blame), Paul Bremer (the US proconsul at the start of the occupation some of whose decisions - like disbanding the Iraqi army, without pay - at the start of his tenure will be permanently enshrined in the numbskull hall of fame), Kenneth Pollack (whose book The Threatening Storm: the Case for Invading Iraq provided "scholarly" cover for those who wanted the war), Danielle Pletka (another of the pro-invasion neocons who also has long been calling for military action against Iran), and Frederick Kagan (one of the godfathers of the "Surge"). At least the NYT editors had the sense to include a few of somewhat less ideological bent (e.g., Anthony Cordesman, an ultra-pragmatist). Nonetheless, I send this only as a heads-up. I may have some comments later, but I might suggest that all of us - myself included - find a comfortable chair and perhaps pour a calming beverage before linking in.
- ► 2013 (34)
- ► 2012 (165)
- ► 2011 (339)
- ► 2010 (305)
- ► 2009 (440)
- Crisis unfolds in Iraq
- Basra's turmoil
- A new monkey-wrench in the works? (or stick in the...
- In this season of peace . . .
- A must-read in today's Washington Post
- Old hatreds - and "Deciders" - persist
- And this guy wants to be president?!
- NY Times asks the "experts" for retrospectives on ...
- Fine review of a book that will draw notice
- US launches deadly missile strike into Pakistan
- Bush on serving in Afghanistan
- Iran elections; Iraq violence increasing; and pros...
- 12 March: the US loses a leader
- JR's recommended reading for Monday, 10 March
- excellent essay by Gideon Levy, in Haaretz
- Israel approves West Bank construction
- On the Jerusalem Seminary Shootings
- Dark Days, about to get darker
- The USS Cole and "Syrian behavior"
- "Moving to Baghdad" - a must-read piece in today's...
- Clinton v. Obama: Now what?
- Identity crisis for young Iraqis?
- Will Iraqis really "like" America once the America...
- more comment on the situation in Gaza
- The Gaza Genocide
- The Bullies Converge. The Results are Deadly.
- ▼ March (26)