Word today that Hamas and Fatah have signed what's being termed the Sanaa (Yemen) declaration, which looks toward reconciliation and common cause. This is a real smack in the puss to Cheney and Condi, who've just come from meetings with Palestinian Authority (=Fatah) prime minister Mahmud Abbas to push talks with the Olmert government - which, of course, will brook no talk of working with Hamas.
Meanwhile, the US has suffered its 4000th combat death in Iraq, the Sunni Awakening (upon which so much of the "success" of the "Surge" was predicated) seems to be turning out to be the short-sighted, but politically useful fix that many observers have thought it was indeed going to be, and the Mahdi Army seems to be raising its head again. Remember that the cease-fire that Muqtada al-Sadr, the Iraqi Shia leader who supposedly controls the Mahdi Army, declared (and recently extended) was one of the other legs upon which the Surge was able to rise up.
General Petraeus today says that Iran was behind yesterday's Green Zone shelling, which is a very serious allegation. Scary, actually, because it gives the Bush administration one more bullet in its magazine of alleged Iranian provocations to seize upon if it indeed decides, on its way out the White House door, to launch a military strike against Iran
Check out the Recommendations on this blog-page as well - especially the Washington Post piece on Fallujah.
And don't forget the PBS Frontline special - "Bush's War" - that begins this evening. Given the usual quality and incisiveness of Frontline's programs, this ought to be pretty special.
- ► 2013 (34)
- ► 2012 (165)
- ► 2011 (339)
- ► 2010 (305)
- ► 2009 (440)
- Crisis unfolds in Iraq
- Basra's turmoil
- A new monkey-wrench in the works? (or stick in the...
- In this season of peace . . .
- A must-read in today's Washington Post
- Old hatreds - and "Deciders" - persist
- And this guy wants to be president?!
- NY Times asks the "experts" for retrospectives on ...
- Fine review of a book that will draw notice
- US launches deadly missile strike into Pakistan
- Bush on serving in Afghanistan
- Iran elections; Iraq violence increasing; and pros...
- 12 March: the US loses a leader
- JR's recommended reading for Monday, 10 March
- excellent essay by Gideon Levy, in Haaretz
- Israel approves West Bank construction
- On the Jerusalem Seminary Shootings
- Dark Days, about to get darker
- The USS Cole and "Syrian behavior"
- "Moving to Baghdad" - a must-read piece in today's...
- Clinton v. Obama: Now what?
- Identity crisis for young Iraqis?
- Will Iraqis really "like" America once the America...
- more comment on the situation in Gaza
- The Gaza Genocide
- The Bullies Converge. The Results are Deadly.
- ▼ March (26)