The AP (via WaPo) reports that struggling US rice farmers are incensed that Iraq now prefers to buy its rice from India. Rice from India is cheaper, but the American farmers are royally pissed off because of (as one Texas farmer whined), "with all that we’ve done over there, there would be a way to get them to do business with us."
From another farmer, “If we’ve got some rice to sell, they ought to pay a premium for it just because this is the country that freed them.”
From one Arkansas farmer, “We spent billions and billions, if not trillions over there, and lots of people died. There should be some reciprocation ...."
Well, at least this gentleman wasn't completely clueless; he remembers that "lots of people died."
Unfortunately, he and his pals seem to number only Americans among them. Not an iota of awareness that the thousands of Americans that our Boy Emperor dispatched to Iraq - and the thousands of other Americans who signed on as "contractors" just for the money, and the thrill of shooting people - contributed to killing tens of thousands of Iraqis.
Get over it, gentlemen. Iraqis owe you nothing. In a more just world, you'd be shipping your rice to them, free of charge.
- The Vicissitudes and Ironies of Arab Nationalism
- Afghanistan: "Graveyard" of Indispensable Nations?...
- US Rice Farmers to Iraq: Where's the Love?
- McCain and Graham Want to Arm Syria's Rebels
- Another Bombing in Baghdad; But Iraq's Getting Bet...
- Anthony Shadid's Death is a Loss to America
- On Anthony Shadid - from Rami Khouri
- Do GOP Congressmen Really Care about an Independen...
- The Death of an American Hero
- New Threat to American Democracy: Special Ops Forc...
- A New Crusade for US Militarists and Neocons: Syri...
- The Nazi SS, US Marines, and Historical Amnesia
- Niall Ferguson: Excited about Bombing Iran
- Netanyahu to Visit AIPAC Conference Next Month. Wo...
- Robert Kagan Argues for Continued US Global Domina...
- Israel Bluffing its Way into Armageddon?
- ▼ February (16)
- ► 2011 (339)
- ► 2010 (305)
- ► 2009 (440)