Joan Walsh in this morning's Salon gets it mostly right.
Salon.com | Neda, Obama, Iran -- and the rest of us
The neocon fools who've been hollering for Obama to intervene more strongly with the Iranian regime need to sit down and shut up. And the world at large would do well to stand up for Neda Agha-Soltan and the other Iranians (so many of them, as Walsh notes, women) who're putting their lives on the line - or have already lost them.
However, Walsh also cautions against over-identifying with Neda, who, she notes, was not especially political, just a philosophy student who loved to sing. In my opinion, perhaps all the more reason to identify with her. According to the LA Times report, she and some friends were simply driving in Tehran, were held up by the traffic, and got out to see what was happening - when she was struck by the bullet that killed her. She apparently aspired to become a tour guide, perhaps someone who some day might have introduced some American or European traveler to the grandeur and sophistication of iran's history and culture. All that potential, now obliterated, in an instant.
The "defeated" candidate Mir-Hossein Moussavi has called for a national mourning of Neda's death. The regime has spoken out strongly against any such thing, and will likely bring out its enforcers to squelch any demonstrations. It remains to be seen if the protestors will persist, but their cause may have been struck a very debilitating, perhaps lethal blow by Israeli prime minister Netanyahu and president Shimon Peres. Both of them have come out strongly against the Iranian Leader Ayatollah Khamenei and the "victorious" presidential candidate (and still president) Mahmud Ahmadinejad, and have insisted that the relationship between Iran and Israel might indeed improve with a regime change. As my friend Barbara A. also pointed out to me, evidence of support from the "Zionist" entity may well be the kiss of death for Moussavi's movement. And I have to wonder if Netanyahu knew that all along. Even if Moussavi had won (or somehow emerges atop the pile when all this is over), Iran would likely have continued its uranium-enrichment program, which in time would have left it more capable of producing a nuclear weapon if the leadership decided to move in that direction. But it would be much more difficult for Netanyahu to issue jeremiads about a new Holocaust and the new Nazis in Tehran when the public face of the regime is a reformist and artist and not a hard-liner who looks forward to the Mahdi's imminent return.
- ► 2012 (165)
- ► 2011 (339)
- ► 2010 (305)
- NY Times report card on Iraq as US forces leave ci...
- Will Iraq now unravel?
- Iraqi whose lies made the case for war looks on fr...
- As US troops pull out, some ominous rumblings
- Gaza and Palestinians' desperation - beneath the r...
- Is the job done in Iraq?
- Obama and the Foreign Policy Establishment
- A guide to Israeli settlements
- Obama may hold some detainees indefinitely
- The "Economist"asks: Is Iraq Getting Worse?
- Maliki Casts U.S. Withdrawal as Victory for Iraq
- Americans' Contributions to the West Bank settlem...
- Iran's Turmoil Affects Shiites across the Middle E...
- Iran's Regime and US Energy Needs
- US discounts Iraq withdrawal risk even as violence...
- As the US Pulls Out, Iraq and Pakistan Approach Bo...
- Neda, Obama, Iran -- and Israel
- Important message from a sympathetic friend
- The martyrdom of "Neda"
- Roger Cohen from the Streets of Tehran
- Suicide bomber kills 25 or more near Kirkuk - whi...
- Mir-Hossein Mousavi's long night
- Resurgent neocons
- Iran set for day of mourning after protest deaths
- Obama, Siding With the Iranian Regime?
- Live-Tweeting the Revolution
- Is the US economy about to implode?
- Where Anti-Semitism is mainstream?
- Dennis Ross moving to the White House
- Racism among US military in Iraq
- Landslide or Fraud? The Debate Online Over Iran’s ...
- Netanyahu accepts limited Palestinian state.
- Iran's Political Coup - and What Happens Now?
- Report: Defeated Ahmadinejad rival arrested in Ira...
- Are Americans an especially warlike breed?
- Ahmadinejad Declared Victor in Iran
- Red Alert: Iran's Election Results (Open Access) |...
- Krauthammer and Barack Obama's Messianism
- Can Obama save Israel from itself?
- More War-mongering from Mr. Bolton
- Lebanon's elections over . . . and Iran's approach...
- Lebanon's elections . . . and the Obama Reaction
- Anthony Shadid, Justice, and the West Bank Settlem...
- Obama Calls for New Beginning - and an End to Sett...
- Iraq's Landmines, Old and New
- JR's latest op-ed at "War in Context"
- Pashtun Refugees and America's Future
- A Way Forward from General Motors' Demise
- The Upcoming Elections in Lebanon - and the Wider ...
- U.S. Weighs Tactics on Israeli Settlement - NYTime...
- ▼ June (50)