Lebanon's elections - as well as the soon upcoming elections in Iran - are of HUGE importance, as this just-out NYT report notes. If the Hezbollah alliance is victorious, the US will have some major decisions to make with regard to its diplomatic relations and outreach.
And Mr. Obama will be caught in an interesting dilemma. Israel will point to the new Lebanon as an existential threat, and will likely make preparations for war. Netanyahu will likely demand Obama's support against the Hezbollah "terrorist" government (even though one of Hezbollah's political allies here is a Christian faction. Hmmmm . . . .) - and could probably use this new "crisis" as a way to deflect further Obama/Clinton criticism about the West Bank settlements.
But if the US refuses to support a new Hezbollah-led government (a la Bush's 2006 decision not to support a fairly elected Hamas-led government in the Palestinian Authority in 2006), the good effects of Obama's Cairo speech will vanish in the wind, and those millions of Arab listeners across the Middle East who said "OK, Barack Hussein, but let's see what you actually do after your speech," will chalk it up as so much hot air.
This is a golden chance for Obama to follow through. On the other hand, it's also a chance to completely blow up his promising initiatives with the Muslim world - and, depending on the timing, hand a bunch of votes to Mr. Ahmadinejad in the upcoming elections in Iran. Very delicate stuff here - and they are not going to give Obama a do-over. Stay tuned . . .
- ► 2012 (165)
- ► 2011 (339)
- ► 2010 (305)
- NY Times report card on Iraq as US forces leave ci...
- Will Iraq now unravel?
- Iraqi whose lies made the case for war looks on fr...
- As US troops pull out, some ominous rumblings
- Gaza and Palestinians' desperation - beneath the r...
- Is the job done in Iraq?
- Obama and the Foreign Policy Establishment
- A guide to Israeli settlements
- Obama may hold some detainees indefinitely
- The "Economist"asks: Is Iraq Getting Worse?
- Maliki Casts U.S. Withdrawal as Victory for Iraq
- Americans' Contributions to the West Bank settlem...
- Iran's Turmoil Affects Shiites across the Middle E...
- Iran's Regime and US Energy Needs
- US discounts Iraq withdrawal risk even as violence...
- As the US Pulls Out, Iraq and Pakistan Approach Bo...
- Neda, Obama, Iran -- and Israel
- Important message from a sympathetic friend
- The martyrdom of "Neda"
- Roger Cohen from the Streets of Tehran
- Suicide bomber kills 25 or more near Kirkuk - whi...
- Mir-Hossein Mousavi's long night
- Resurgent neocons
- Iran set for day of mourning after protest deaths
- Obama, Siding With the Iranian Regime?
- Live-Tweeting the Revolution
- Is the US economy about to implode?
- Where Anti-Semitism is mainstream?
- Dennis Ross moving to the White House
- Racism among US military in Iraq
- Landslide or Fraud? The Debate Online Over Iran’s ...
- Netanyahu accepts limited Palestinian state.
- Iran's Political Coup - and What Happens Now?
- Report: Defeated Ahmadinejad rival arrested in Ira...
- Are Americans an especially warlike breed?
- Ahmadinejad Declared Victor in Iran
- Red Alert: Iran's Election Results (Open Access) |...
- Krauthammer and Barack Obama's Messianism
- Can Obama save Israel from itself?
- More War-mongering from Mr. Bolton
- Lebanon's elections over . . . and Iran's approach...
- Lebanon's elections . . . and the Obama Reaction
- Anthony Shadid, Justice, and the West Bank Settlem...
- Obama Calls for New Beginning - and an End to Sett...
- Iraq's Landmines, Old and New
- JR's latest op-ed at "War in Context"
- Pashtun Refugees and America's Future
- A Way Forward from General Motors' Demise
- The Upcoming Elections in Lebanon - and the Wider ...
- U.S. Weighs Tactics on Israeli Settlement - NYTime...
- ▼ June (50)