As noted in the WaPo.
This surely injects into State Department thinking - and Congressional hem-twisting over Israel - even greater concern about Turkey's direction under PM Erdogan. A country that had been both Israel's and the US's staunchest ally in the Middle East now purports to coordinate with the "mad mullahs" in military strikes against the Kurds. And some of those strikes will undoubtedly cross into Iraqi Kurdistan, where the government has long relied on the US's backing.
And this atop Turkey's assurance to Iran that the NATO radar bases it will be hosting are no threat to Iran.
- ► 2012 (165)
- Thomas Friedman's "Extra Mile"
- Dennis Ross Strikes Again
- Immovable Object (Pakistan) Deflects a Very Resist...
- How Israel Lost America
- Christian Zionists: Patriots?
- Lindsey Graham: Consider Military Strike against P...
- Turkey-Iran Joint Offensive vs. Kurd Resistance
- A Way Ahead for the Middle East?
- As US Influence Wanes in the Middle East . . .
- US Sidelined in the "Peace Process"
- Human-rights Travesty of US Night Raids in Afghani...
- Obama at the UN: an Embarrassment to Himself, and ...
- Secret Deals to Expand US's Permanent Wars
- Did 9-11 Change Everything?
- On America's Imperfect Democracy
- The Long-Term Human Cost of the Iraq War
- McCain and Pals are at it Again: More US Troops in...
- FBI: Muhammad a "Cult Leader"
- More Money - and Trouble - for Iraq?
- Why We Stay in Afghanistan
- So, Bibi, Who Ya Gonna Call? O-ba-ma!
- The Looming West Bank Crisis
- Erdogan Puts Obama to Shame
- Palestinian State: A Saudi Warning to the US
- Assessing 9-11. Ten Years After
- Obama Toughening Up?
- Israel's Escalating Isolation
- Joe Lieberman's Paean to Post 9-11 U--S--A!!
- Will the Egyptian Street Force the Military's Hand...
- Why Most Iraqis Will Be Happy to See the US Gone
- The Upcoming UN Vote on Recognizing a Palestinian ...
- US and Israel Double Down on their own Isolation
- Looming Disaster in the West Bank
- America in the Wrong Direction
- US's Pathetic Efforts to Stop Recognition of a Pal...
- ▼ September (35)
- ► 2010 (305)
- ► 2009 (440)