Spencer Ackerman at Wired on the revelations forthcoming in the new book from Bob Woodward, Obama's Wars -excerpts from which, as he notes, appear today in both the NY Times and the WaPo.
So sad, really - a bright, energetic young man who promised so much change, showed so much promise, who seemed to represent Good and Reason, has ended up, at least when it comes to the US in the world, bringing even more of more of the same - in Afghanistan, in Pakistan, at Guantanamo, with the Israeli-Palestinian conflict - and the jury's still out on how he deals with Iran.
No progress. Much disillusionment. More people dying at American hands. He's running up a big tab, and he'll likely be made to pay for it - at the ballot box in November, in the court of global public opinion, and - perhaps - at the hands of some terror group whose growing disillusionment and anger will spur them to another attack on US interests somewhere in the world, if not here at home. (Note David Ignatius in today's WaPo: terror-alert lights are blinking red all over Europe).
- ► 2012 (165)
- ► 2011 (339)
- Israel Estimates Iran Will Have The Bomb In 2014
- Richard Cohen misses the point on West Bank settle...
- Obama's Rocky Start . . . and Fighting Back to Reg...
- Lebanon's continuing refusal to allow Palestinian ...
- Iraq's continuing post-election trauma: Iraqiya pa...
- Obama at the UN: promote democracy and human right...
- CIA’s Afghan Kill Teams Expand U.S. War in Pakista...
- . . . Meanwhile, in Iraq (where's that again?)
- "Peace Process" 2010 update
- Will US-Saudi Arms Deal prevent War with Iran
- Iraq and Syria to Build Oil Pipelines
- The Marja "Success Story"
- Freeze Settlements . . . and Freeze Lieberman
- The American Taliban, and American Leadership
- Iraq Struggles On . . .
- Disaster in the Making for US Presence in Afghanis...
- The Indus Flood and Pakistan's Internal Fault Line...
- Obama's Dilemma
- Iraq's Complexities
- The US, al-Qaeda, and Obama's Road to Ruin in Afgh...
- US Pushing New Plan for an Iraqi government
- "Pastor" Jones' Quran-burning event
- Southern Evangelicals - Some of al-Qaeda's Best Fr...
- The Naivete of the Direct-Talks Optimists
- AP: 'Combat in Iraq is not over, and we should not...
- "Negotiations" and the Challenge Facing Obama
- Ehud Barak: Palestinians Should Get Part of Jerusa...
- ▼ September (27)
- ► 2009 (440)