- that these 2 young Americans are brave men, full of what an old friend of mine used to refer to as "piss and vinegar"
- that these 2 young Americans are also (if we take their words at face value) having the time of their lives, as if they're living some kind of life-sized, ultra-real video game, or are holed up in a big hunting-blind from which they can go out to track down the local "game" - except that this "game" shoots back. Or, is this their way of compensating in a very dangerous situation
- that these 2 young Americans, whom Chivers obviously much admires, are (I must remember) the face of the enemy in the eyes of many (most, perhaps) of the locals, who (as Chivers himself notes) are mosque-going believers in God (just as these young Marines may be church-goers back home) and likely see killing or expelling these young Americans as occupiers of their home villages and lands (and, maybe, country) - just as we might if we were in their shoes.
Friday, May 1, 2009
A Young Marine’s Dream Job
Fascinating article that leaves me with a welter of conflicting impressions.
- ► 2012 (165)
- ► 2011 (339)
- ► 2010 (305)
- Israeli ministers: No West Bank settlement freeze
- Anthony Shadid on the Effects of US Occupation in ...
- More Washington Post nonsense on Israel-Palestine
- Pentagon denies report Iraq prison photos show rap...
- Roger Cohen: Obama in Netanyahu's web(?)
- Biden: Aid to Lebanon Depends on Elections
- Netanyahu throws Obama a bone
- Obama quashed Israel military option against Iran
- Iran as existential threat?
- An Iranian nuclear weapon would be "calamitous"?!
- Releasing detainees - Guantanamo and Iraq
- Iran's New Long-Range Missile
- Frank Rich on the ongoing legacy of George W. Bush...
- Why did Petraeus oust McKiernan?
- Abu Ghraib, Act II
- Israel no longer getting special diplomatic treatm...
- Obama and the Long Haul in Pakistan and Afghanista...
- A New - and Big! - Oil Discovery in Iraqi Kurdista...
- Clinton Expresses Regret for Civilian Casualties i...
- John Bolton on the "Spanish inquisition"
- Afghanistan = Vietnam = tar baby? (once again)
- Muqtada al-Sadr now a Grand Ayatollah?
- Pakistan in a Critical Hour, While AIPAC Heads Rig...
- Hamid Karzai criticised for selecting former warlo...
- Old Troubles Stir in Baghdad. . . and around the M...
- Lessons, and costs, of empire
- A Young Marine’s Dream Job
- ▼ May (27)