The British Middle East expert Toby Dodge - author of an excellent analysis of the British creation and occupation of Baghdad after World War I - publishes in The Independent a fine post-mortem for the British experience in Basra (from which the British have now pulled out, ending their combat role in "Operation Iraqi Freedom"). Among his conclusions: that Britain had neither the political will nor the economic resources to sustain a commitment in post-2003 Iraq, and that as it ramps us its commitment to war versus the Taliban in Afghanistan, it had better think long and hard about what its realistic prospects truly are and be very cautious in its commitment.
I hope Mr. Obama takes note.
Basra itself, however, is in worse shape than before the Brits arrived. I'm sure the same can be said for Baghdad and the Americans.
- ► 2012 (165)
- ► 2011 (339)
- ► 2010 (305)
- Israeli ministers: No West Bank settlement freeze
- Anthony Shadid on the Effects of US Occupation in ...
- More Washington Post nonsense on Israel-Palestine
- Pentagon denies report Iraq prison photos show rap...
- Roger Cohen: Obama in Netanyahu's web(?)
- Biden: Aid to Lebanon Depends on Elections
- Netanyahu throws Obama a bone
- Obama quashed Israel military option against Iran
- Iran as existential threat?
- An Iranian nuclear weapon would be "calamitous"?!
- Releasing detainees - Guantanamo and Iraq
- Iran's New Long-Range Missile
- Frank Rich on the ongoing legacy of George W. Bush...
- Why did Petraeus oust McKiernan?
- Abu Ghraib, Act II
- Israel no longer getting special diplomatic treatm...
- Obama and the Long Haul in Pakistan and Afghanista...
- A New - and Big! - Oil Discovery in Iraqi Kurdista...
- Clinton Expresses Regret for Civilian Casualties i...
- John Bolton on the "Spanish inquisition"
- Afghanistan = Vietnam = tar baby? (once again)
- Muqtada al-Sadr now a Grand Ayatollah?
- Pakistan in a Critical Hour, While AIPAC Heads Rig...
- Hamid Karzai criticised for selecting former warlo...
- Old Troubles Stir in Baghdad. . . and around the M...
- Lessons, and costs, of empire
- A Young Marine’s Dream Job
- ▼ May (27)