It was noted awhile back that, hoping to improve his international-relations chops, Mr. Obama opted to read more stuff by Thomas Friedman. I'd rather he read - and be talking with - Tony Shadid . . . as well as Patrick Seale, both of whom have probably forgotten more about how the Middle East "works" than Friedman will ever know.
As the day dragged on, Mr. Davutoglu offered an insight that might prove relevant to an Arab world in tumult, where the foreign policies of representative governments like Egypt might prove far different than the style of predecessors who stayed obedient to the United States. “The blessing of democracy,” he called it, and what he meant was that he had spent day after day, meeting after meeting, hearing from people he helped govern.
“If your foreign policy, however sophisticated it might be, doesn’t have a ground in public opinion, then that foreign policy is not sustainable,” Mr. Davutoglu said.
“This is democracy,” he added.
Saturday, June 11, 2011
A Democracy Lesson for the US
On the eve of an extremely important election in Turkey, Anthony Shadid profiles Turkey's foreign minister - and a former academic - Ajmet Davutoglu, who offers (as Shadid notes) an important lesson in foreign policy:
- ► 2013 (34)
- ► 2012 (165)
- Osama's Victory
- Afghanistan: Night Raids and "Victory"
- Latest Libya War WTF Update
- Teaching a Pig How to Sing
- How Netanyahu Government Divides the Jewish People...
- Could War Break Out between Syria and Turkey?
- Hopeful Sign for Egypt's Democracy, and America's ...
- On the Afghan Withdrawal
- Afghanistan: from Express Lane to Exit Ramp. . . t...
- Thomas Friedman's "Third Party"
- A Half-a-Loaf Way Forward in Libya and Syria?
- Iraq: The Beat goes on . . . .
- Lindsey Graham and Wars in Syria and Libya
- More on Obama's "Not Hostilities" Dodge in Libya
- As Obama "De-Surges" Afghanistan, Bombings Kill Do...
- In Yemen, Are US Drone Attacks Buying Trouble for ...
- Discredited Neocons Ally with Obama on Libya War
- Message to McCain: It's the Economy, Stupid
- Can Pakistan Shut Down the Show?
- The Libya "Civil War" - and America's Unending One...
- Is the US Offering Taliban Half of Afghanistan?
- Some Hope for Republicans?
- No More Chance of US Staying in Iraq?
- Does Lindsey Graham Want US Boots on Pakistan's Gr...
- A Democracy Lesson for the US
- Iraq Going Its Own Way - Rohrabacher and the MEK
- The US's Iraq Withdrawal: Another Reason to Leave
- Approaching Armageddon? The World My Daughter's Ge...
- David Brooks' Warped Sense of "Normal"
- The American Way . . . to Third World Status
- Israel, Saudis, Turkey to US: "Suck on This"
- Some Historical Perspective on Bibi's Speech to Co...
- ▼ June (32)
- ► 2010 (305)
- ► 2009 (440)