Aluf Benn in Haaretz, on the horrific fire in the Carmel forests in Israel that killed dozens of people, and for which Israel's disaster services were, in his view, grossly under-prepared. He even goes so far as to make the very apt analogy to the 1973 "Yom Kippur" War, which began with an Egyptian surprise attack across the Suez Canal that caught the IDF completely by surprise. The IDF eventually prevailed after it was resupplied in an emergency operation carried out by the US.
Benn's point? If the response to this fire was any indication, Israel is unprepared for the blowback from an attack on Iran's nuclear facilities - or, for that matter, a war with Hizbollah in Lebanon, which many in Israel and outside seem to regard as only a matter of time.
Those with the appropriate world-view might even see the Carmel fire as a warning from the Almighty to the Israelis, or to those of their American "friends" who (channeling McCain here) call for the US to "bomb bomb Iran." On the other hand, others may see it as a Divine warning to Israel to get better prepared; shore up this deficiency. Time will tell.
- ► 2013 (34)
- ► 2012 (165)
- ► 2011 (339)
- US Concern over Pakistani Militants' Disappearance...
- Is Israel a Racist Country
- On Iraq's New Government
- Geert Wilders' support for Israel's Colonization o...
- Invitation to a Coup - or a Revolution - in Pakist...
- Wonderful Discussion of Zionism and the Right to ...
- With Dubya's Compliments
- Israel never really wanted peace
- The Demise of the "Peace Process"
- Don't-Sell-to-the Arabs Controversy
- Explosive New Report on US-Nazi-Arab-Holocaust Lin...
- Hillary Clinton's "Outreach to Iran"
- Obama Caves to Bibi; Cue the Grown-ups
- Maliki's "de-Baathification" of Iraq's Security an...
- Rabbi Ovadia Yosef: Carmel forest fire as God's pu...
- A Providential Wake-up Call for Israel?
- David Ignatius "Droning On" . . .
- From Axis of Evil to the Evil Twins
- Obama's Naivete
- ▼ December (19)
- ► 2009 (440)