Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Obama's Obeisance

It was bad enough several years ago watching George W. Bush, completely disregarding international law and decades of American diplomacy on the issue, award Ariel Sharon the large settlement blocs that Israel had established in the West Bank.  But to now be forced to watch the spectacle of an American president, for all intents and purposes, pleading with an Israeli prime minister to please, oh please, just give me 60 more days of your settlement freeze - only to be spurned and left stunned . . . .

I seem to recall writing here, many months ago, of my fear that Netanyahu, the operator that he is, might wind up eating shiny-bright Mr. Obama's lunch.  But when Obama took it to him early on, with his Cairo speech and his outreach to Iran, I was hoping that I'd be proven wrong.  Now, I'm not so sure I wasn't right to begin with.  The recent reports and analyses by Paul Richter in the LA Times and Jonathan Cook in The National (via Antiwar.com) make a strong case that Mr. Obama is embarrassing himself and trashing the US's credibility as either an honest broker or a force to be reckoned with in the Israeli-Palestinian "peace process." 

No comments:

Subscribe!

http://www.wikio.com

Blog Archive

Cluster map

Search This Blog

ICAHD - 18,000 Homes Campaign (large banner)